Phalanger makes PHP first-class citizen in the .NET languages family. It gives PHP programmers the ability to benefit from both the ease-of-use and effectiveness of the PHP language and the power and richness of the .NET platform taking profit from the best from both sides.
I have to admit, I’m a big fan of .NET and Anders Hejlsberg, the lead architect of the team developing C#. That’s right, I said it! I’m a fan of .NET! Anders created an excellent programming language, which has a procedural, object-oriented syntax based on C++ and includes influences from aspects of several other programming languages, most notably Delphi and Java. C# and PHP have a lot in common, they are both simple, modern, object-oriented programming languages. In fact, a lot of C# programmers are familiar with PHP, and vice versa.
What is Phalanger?
Phalanger is a new PHP implementation introducing the PHP language into the family of compiled .NET languages. It provides PHP applications an execution environment that is fast and extremely compatible with the vast array of existing PHP code. Phalanger compiles PHP scripts into MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) which can be executed by .NET or Mono runtime. This runtime executes MSIL code using JIT (Just-In-Time) compilation, which makes the execution far more effective than interpretation and significantly improves application speed.
Thanks to the Visual Studio 2008 Shell provided by Microsoft, you can now get Visual Studio with Phalanger for free.
- Compiles PHP language to the MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language), which is a byte-code assembly used by the .NET CLR
- Compiles PHP scripts directly to the .NET/Mono assemblies
- Phalanger makes it possible to use any .NET object in PHP applications
- Allows using .NET objects from the PHP language thanks to the PHP/CLR Language Extensions
- Enables using libraries written in PHP from other .NET languages
- Allows using .NET generics including writing and extending generic objects in the PHP language
- Allows writing objects fully compatible with .NET languages (like C#) in the pure mode
- Thanks to Phalanger you can use PHP for developing presentation layer on top of bussines logic written in C#